The Memoirs of the Orange Skinned

Tanning.
My hobby, my fascination, my addiction
Whatever you want to call it
It has become a big part of my life.

I’ve tried it all from tanning beds, to mystic tans, to lotions, to ‘tan in a can’ to towelettes.
And luckily for you I’m here to educate you on the dos and don’ts of tanning. What works and what doesn’t.

Until recently most people were oblivious to my secret hobby as I was smart and tested it only on my legs. WHICH I recommend everyone does. However, even I have had those unfortunate days when I had to go toSCHOOL and WORK orange and blotchy.

Tanning Beds.
For me I’ve been in them once- Didn’t work for me because I’m ‘fair skinned’ so I just burnt and came out red. Plus final destination 3- the tanning scene has turned me off from tanning beds. However, if you want that golden brown REAL tan- tanning beds are the way to go. If I had the time and money I could even have a ‘real tan’. Just for us lighter skin people we need to build up gradually. It’s a process TANNING->BURN(fades into brown)-> TANNING repeat. If you do this enough soon your skin can handle the beds perfectly. A price for a tanning bed is anywhere from seven-ten dollars. But be prepared to buy the goggles and lotion an extra two-five dollars. Or if you’re a true addict ‘Tanning Passes’ fifty-seventy bucks unlimited tanning for a month.

Spray Tans- or Mystic Tans
I used to love them until one unfortunate day
I came out ORANGE and BLOTCHY and my hands looked terrible.
Now I’ve stopped the mystic tans and for good reason.
A friend of mine continued going and now looks- well
Not the greatest.
Mystic tanning thirty dollars.

TAN IN A CAN
DO NOT- DO NOT use them. The color you’ll get from them is terrible. Trust the knowledgeable. I never actually bought one- BUT- I did go to Shoppers and test them ALL on my leg. I looked like a zebra and not one of the shades were nice. I either looked VERY orange or like a I was BRUISED. Either way not something you want- Plus this aerosol cans you cant tell if your doing it evenly and they don’t come cheep, anywhere from 15 dollars upwards.


My favorites.
LOTION & Towelettes.
Some lotions don’t work- I won’t lie they often come out uneven and orange. I recommend Jergens moisturizer with colored tint. This lotion is a gradual build up so you can choose how dark you want to go. Plus its cheep, ten dollars or so. My new love affair is with tanning towelettes. I saw them on the shopping channel and didn’t order them. Then a knock off ‘life brand’ version came out so I got them. Once again they are a gradual build up so you control how dark you become. Plus when using the towelettes your tan is EVEN, which is very important when trying to make your tan look REAL.

DO-
Research the products.
DO-
WASH YOUR HANDS (regardless of what product you use)
DO-
Wait for the tan to sink in before you apply more. MOST tanning products take 3-7 hours to sink in fully.

DO NOT-
Become a blotchy freak.

No comments: